Some terpenes relief anxiety, promote sleep & relaxation. Others feel uplifting, motivating. Some relieve pain and inflammation.
There are over 200 known terpenes. Below are some terps that are prevalent in hemp (flower & other full spectrum oils, capsules, topical, etc.).
Please note that terpenes will be destroyed/wasted/unavailable when heated significantly above their vaporizing temperatures.
Scent: Pine Vaporizes: 311ºF (155ºC) Potential Effects: Upllifting, thought to counteracts some of the THC effects. May help with: pain, inflammation, gastric ulcers, anxiety, asthma.
Scent: Cardamom, cloves, fruity Vaporizes At: 332ºF (167ºC) Potential Effects: Relaxing, drowsiness, “couch-lock,” (especially in strains containing more than 0.5%), muscle relaxant. May help with: insomnia, pain, muscle spasms, inflammation.
Scent: lemon, lime, grapefruit Vaporizes At: 348ºF (176ºC) Potential Effects: Improved mood, relaxation. May help with: depression, stress, anxiety, pain, inflammation.
Scent: Peppery Vaporizes At: 266ºF – 320 F (130º – 160C) Potential Effects: Relieves stress, symptoms of stress-related illnesses. May help with: anxiety, pain, depression, gastric ulcers.
Scent: Flowery Vaporizes At: 388ºF (198ºC) Potential Effects: Improved mood, drowsiness. May help with: anxiety, pain, inflammation, insomnia, depression.
Scent: Hops, cloves.sage, ginger, ginseng. Vaporizes At: 222ºF (106ºC) Potential Effects: decreased appetite. May help with: inflammation, pain.
- Ocimene Scent: woody, sweet. Vaporizes At: 122ºF (50ºC) Potential Effects: Anti-bacterial/fungal/viral, decongestion. May help with: inflammation, pain.
- Guaiol: Scent: Piney. Vaporizes at: 198 F (92 C) Potential Effects: Anti-bacterial, Anti-inflammatory. May help with: coughs, constipation, arthritis pain.
- α-Bisabolol/Levomenol: Scent: Flowery Vaporizes at: 307 F (153 C) Potential Effects: Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, Anti-bacteria, Analgesic May help with: pain, inflammation.
- High levels of this terp is found in ACDC.
- Terpinolene Scent: flowery, piney, apples, nutmeg. Vaporizes At: 366ºF (186ºC) Potential Effects: sedating, anti-bacterial/fungal. May help with: insomnia, anxiety.
- Terpineol (Type of Terpinolene) Scent: Piney, cloves. Vaporizes at: 424 F Potential Effects: Antioxident, anticonvulsant. May help with: +Terpineol is found in Jack strains, OG Kush & Girl Scout Cookies.
- Geraniol/Lemonol (I’ve only seen small amounts in very few strains/products) Scent: roses/geraniums, lemon. Vaporizes At: 447 F Potential Effects: pain and inflammation relief, anti-spasmodic. May help with: neuropathy (nerve pain).
- d-Carene: Scent: pungent, turpentine-like, piney. Vaporizes at: 334 F (168 C) Potential Effects: . It is often used to dry out excess body fluids, such as tears, mucus, and sweat. It is nontoxic, but may cause irritation when inhaled. Perhaps high concentrations of delta-3-carene in some strains may be partially responsible for coughing, itchy throat, throat burn when vaped/smoked. Potential Effects: Central nervous system depressant May help with: Drying out secretions such as mucous (chest/nose), runny eyes.
- a-bisabolol Scent: Flowery Vaporizes at: 307 F (153 C) Potential Effects: anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial. May help with: pain
- Borneol: Scent: Camphor Vaporizes at: 410 F (210 C) Potential Effects: Usually seen in trace amounts – which is all that’s needed to relieve insomnia (some sources claim Borneol is the most effective terp for insomnia), bronchodilator, analgesic, pain relief. May help with: insomnia, pain, asthma.
- Most haze strains contain high traces of Borneo.